Saturday, December 29, 2012

Welcoming the new year: 2012 Highlights

It's always nice to look back at a year of adventure and accomplishments. This is why we celebrate new year's eve: to cap of a wonderful year that's passed and to celebrate the new stretch in our lives that is just about to begin. More than rejoicing in the possibility of a fresh start, however, I believe that these final days of the year is the time to appreciate all that's come and gone and whatever it is we have learned from these experiences.

Here are the highlights of my 2012, things in the last 360+ days that I love and are most grateful for.

1.
Ah. What is life without beautiful places and wonderful gastronomic delights? It's funny because this year we did not even leave the country and we just visited a handful of provinces. Added to that the fact that I fall in love with anything I put in my mouth, it seems absurd that this is part of the list. But, it is. I have no problem with the fact that I fall in love with every place I visit and every dish that I try. It is an amazingly wonderful existence because of these little pleasures-- and I understand that I sound freakishly like travel & living show right now.

2.
I have always said that I am blessed with wonderful friends. What I did to deserve such great people in my life, I have no idea. Year after year, I just thank the heavens I still have these people in my life, along with a bunch of other new friends I am equally grateful for. Whoever sent these fools to me, I only have this to tell you: no take backs!

3.
And of course, there is family. One thing I've learned (and I learned this the hard way) is that no matter what happens, there will always be family. 


4.
This year marked so many firsts for me. Among the most memorable was my internship at Rappler. So many wonderful experiences and much learning from great minds-- of both peers and mentors. (And, if you look hard enough, you'll find me on the website in their intern GIF-- wahooooo!) This year has also seen much effort from myself to try and work for a cause. Somehow, I found myself working on an issue that has always been near and dear my heart. Thus, (armed with a great team) "Dugtong DOGtong na Pag-Asa: Isang Dokumentaryo" was born. Also this year were the countless adventures I've had for WhenInManila and  the more active role in blogging I've taken on. And of course, my upcoming graduation!

6.
These great DIY projects that I thankfully find time for. But, mostly thankful for the fact that most of them actually turn out okay.
 7.
Thankful for the small amount of success I am getting with SisaSaid and for everyone who helped me with this blogging endeavour-- to each one who helped me pick out clothes, style, and take my photos. I have new found respect for people who dress up, believe me! I am very grateful for everything I've learned along the way. But, most of all, I'd like to say I am thankful for the patience I am able to exercise when trying to put together these outfits.

 (Photo by Joaquin Talan, retrieved from his album)

8. BONUS!
And finally, at the risk of sounding cheesy, I am thankful for having someone who still looks at me this way when I'm babbling away at 15 words per second and probably talking about something as irrelevant as elephants in the winter.


Happy New Year, everyone! Strive to be the best version of yourself this coming year, but never forget the years past that led you to become that person. Cheers, everyone!






5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Isabel! This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy, especially the last photo. So adorable. Cheers to more adventures!

    xx Daphne of http://daphnebenosa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daphne! You are wonderful :) Cheers to the new year! :)

      Delete
  2. lovely blog! happy new year! mind to check out my blog too and maybe follow back? thanks!

    http://thestyleidiom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roch! Happy New Year! Cute blog! I followed you :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! <3

    Great blog! What do you think should we follow each other? you follow me and I will follow you. <3 :)
    http://zorjanakanjuga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment to let me know what you think!